Friday 24 April 2015

Target Audience

I have realised that although I have been considering my target audience I haven't really clarified who and what the purpose of my project is. Obviously the band and the genre of my chosen song has had an enormous impact on my design ideas (although admittedly I was and am very adamant that my characters be a reflection of my illustrative strengths since I wanted this project to be an embodiment  of my personal visual style). Essentially my target audience is the band themselves, and as such I am utilising folky, bright and actually fairly British elements in order to appeal to them. Having said this on a much broader level this project is aimed at myself too since I want to use this to see what I can produce with the allotted time without the boundaries of a normal university brief. I want this piece to be a strong portfolio piece as well as a well made animation/design that will appeal to The Mountain Firework Company (the band). I am basing a lot of my choices- the choices in character and location around the folk genre and the lyrics from the song itself which will hopefully ground my project to the song and as such really hammer home that this animation has been made to work and narrate the song.

To clarify I am producing this design ideally for the band in order to visually narrate one of their songs. In doing so I am using lots of Folk elements (the animals and instruments) which fits in with the genre of music.I am also going to use locations referenced in the song itself to determine backgrounds, and instruments that are used by the band.

Visually my design is going to have a very handmade look and in fact be handmade (since I am stop motioning and making the backgrounds) its a style that I have previously emulated with the digital medium in other projects and one that I have been very enamoured with ever since I wrote my dissertation on the subject. I chose the song because I knew that the handmade medium would work really well with it and that the handmade would help to clarify and cement the folk genre that I am trying to encapsulate in order to appeal to my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment