Monday 13 April 2015

Kate Slater Papercut scenes

Kate Slater is another paper-cut artist and although I have looked into lots of different artists that use the same medium I wanted to show how these same works that have been made by hand can translate into the digital and then made into print pieces, since I will be doing the same thing translating printed pieces into the digital medium. 

I love the cow print below - how each cow is different and how the paper cut layers have generate a smooth sense of tone all of which aids in creating three dimensional cartoon style characters. I am definitely planning on considering using the simple white circle back dot eyes- since I think when combined with more realistic toning they look wonderfully cartoony and convey a fair amount of emotion.
 This is a printed brochure of some of her paper cut works - again the paper layers all add tonally to the overall piece and the shadows are much softer which seamlessly integrates the shapes into the print medium. Its been softened ever so slightly which I think makes the scene look just a little bit magical.

Source: http://www.kateslaterillustration.com/childrens-book-illustration/ndpgo2bzlpqgxcdxbhrnjweu8r0udh

No comments:

Post a Comment