Friday 3 April 2015

Penguin Job Application - The job and research

Throughout one of my searches I came across a job issued by Penguin children's books, and I have to say its the first job I have come across that I can safely say is one that embodies everything I am looking for in a job. It presents the book design aspect that I have established as one of my key interests!

The Job Itself:

The job- Design Assistant - Entry Level at Penguins Children's Books

The responsibilities:
Assisting head designers (book cover design, book design and advertising)
Managing own small projects
Being given projects on which to develop in a team

The skills required:

A key eye in design
The adobe suite
Powerpoint, keynote and excel
Ability to work as a team and to a brief creatively


Before applying Research

Before applying since it was going to be the first job I applied for in the design sector, I decided that before doing anything I would look into the company itself. I looked into Penguins Twitter account
and got a feel for the various designs and books that they liked to promote- this in turn gave me an idea of what illustrative styles they might be looking for. As well as this it gave me an idea of the company itself, what they were passionate about and what they were involved in which in turn gave me some more ideas as to how to promote myself to them.






I also looked into Penguins website in order to ascertain what kind of books they were responsible for, again to give me an idea of the styles that they liked to utilise and the kind of people, skills, styles they were looking for.




I got the impression that they were keen to advertise to young people, not only have they transferred their information onto various social media sites they have signposted their career website with a humorous image that features young people. I definitely feel like they want fresh blood with a consideration to modern technologies. Though the job is design based it may be prudent for me to signpost the social media element.

All of the skills that Penguin were looking for were ones that I possessed and it was an entry level position I decided that I was going to apply but before doing so I needed to come up with a personalised CV that would help to promote myself to Penguin and prove that I had the creative skills that they were looking for.



No comments:

Post a Comment