Friday 3 April 2015

Penguin Application

I have created a highly customised CV (I opted to do this so I could market myself in the best way possible). Since illustration is one of my key skills - I decided to create an illustrative cv that best show cased this - (I added in a little penguin for penguin books) but otherwise the cv itself is one that I can send to other design agencies as well - the cover letter is one that I have fashioned specifically for Penguin. I wanted the CV design to be legible and display that I had skill with typography and layout (which was implied through required knowledge of indesign) I also wanted it to convey that I am a passionate and creative illustrator. Im really happy with how it has turned out and can only hope that they will find it interesting. I am hoping that customising my CV in a way that is personal to me as a designer will help to set me apart from the mass of applicants that I am sure have applied.

Penguin CV

Penguin Cover Letter
Since I customised my CV very heavily I opted to keep my cover letter fairly professional. Thanks to my research into penguin I had a few ideas in what kind of things they were looking for and tried to address them in this letter.

I first talked about my skill set and my passions in order to fulfil their requirements in the role.
I then talked about children's book design and its relation to my own work (their children's book section was one that I found to be very extensive) but I tried to relate my recent d and a d project to the children's Charlie and Lola books to exemplify that I could translate a brief into a story. A key element throughout children's book design.
I then opted to talk about my degree to display that it has had an influence on me and has given me additional skills - problem solving which is a key element noted throughout the research of their website, brief assessment and the project I worked on with a client Latest TV (to try and show that I have some limited experience at least).



Application
The application asked for three examples of my work, I tried to choose the best pieces and the most diverse to show that I have a range of styles and can and have produced a variety of outcomes.

The outcome on the left - my d and a d piece displays that I can tell a story, my Brighton lights pieces links to the Latest TV project alluded to in my cover letter, and my Paloma Faith illustration which displays that I can draw realistic (ish) people.

I applied through their website, I am hopeful but not optimistic it's entry level so there is bound to be an abundance of applicants.

No comments:

Post a Comment