Friday 3 April 2015

Jessica Walsh (Sagmeister and Walsh) Existing Practitioner Inspiration

The two other practitioners that I have looked into and found incredibly inspirational have both been freelancers with their own personal shops and businesses. I wanted to look into how someone that was a part of a design company marketed and defined themselves (which would also help to clarify some more job search terms as well as providing me some promotional and portfolio inspiration. I was instantly drawn to the Sagmeister and Walsh company - since I have seen both Walsh and Sagmeister speak and what they spoke in regards to design resonated. 

Working in a design company is very different to working for oneself, although the Sagmeister and Walsh company are so well known and illustrious they can choose their own clients. Normally a company is approached or finds a client in which to provide work for. They have to work as a team to answer a specific brief (though of course freelancers do the same) depending on the job within the company and the company itself determines the influence that designers have. Working as a team means that various creatives have to co-operate and adjust to the briefs that are given. 

In terms of the jobs that I am looking at - I have virtually no design experience so the jobs I am going to be more eligible for aren't going to be senior positions (that come with ability to make decisions), I may not even get to talk to the client this may be another persons job so I am going to have to bare all these elements in mind. I think working in a design company would be really interesting and fun, working to generate one big goal or as part of a team helps to take some of the pressure off (as was discovered in the end of year project). Design companies also have to balance the tricky medium of branding themselves and displaying their own visual styles with what the client requires. 




Social Media
They do promote their work on social media which I am guessing helps to promote their company brand and keep up awareness. Mostly photographs of work occasionally broken up with interviews that they have done and quotes from those. Both the Twitter and Facebook platforms mirror one another.




No comments:

Post a Comment