Monday 13 April 2015

Stop Motion Examples - Paper Cut

Since I want to create a paper cut style animation (with a little more detail than just paper cuts) I wanted to look into examples of papermation in order for me to asses the best way of doing it and the best way to design both my characters and the world in which the video resides.


The I have your heart paper animation below is one that I have also known about for a while - much like the Paper Plane animation it is a prime source of inspiration. For one it is another animation that has been made for a song (and time to a beat), for another  its a really clever world and has some really beautiful puppet figures. The way the limbs are all segmented is a techniques that I also plan on using in order to generate motion. Although theirs is set in a 3d land -which is something I intend to avoid- I love the intricacy of the world and all the elements within the characters that echo the vintage and move smoothly and fluidly. I also think that the paper style (and the black and white colour scheme) really help to emphasise the paper world and work well in highlighting the detailing that makes up the world.



I wanted to find some flat animations and I came across this paper cut one which mimics the style that I intend to emulate. It has a simple story a child finding its mother and it uses the paper cut puppets with the segmented limbs that I also wish to use. There is a great deal of texture within the animation which I think is a key element in making all the segmented pieces match and gel together.The bird and cat are my favourite elements in this video since they are the most detailed and playful elements.  They also contrast in colour and style to the rest of the characters which provides a diversity.


I like the video below because it has also been timed to music, although the characters are made of simple components the way that the whole animation moves together is really fluid and clever. Again I love the segmented limbs and components which generates layers and I love how various scenes are defined by different background colours and are moved between through careful cuts and zooming motions. The birds and simple backgrounds provide a nice backdrop and ensure the overall continuity of the animation.Balloons, birds and clouds are the ever present background elements that tie it all together and frame the beginning and end.


No comments:

Post a Comment