Saturday 11 April 2015

Animation Research Inspiration 1

Though I have the Paper Plane video as my main source of inspiration it made sense to research how others have dealt with and utilised animation to create a story. Though the Oz great and powerful credits have not been made using stop motion they do have the paper-cut layered style that I am visually intrigued by. Obviously they have been made to match the vintage black and white element that is a predominate quality to the actual film itself. 

I really love the string puppet elements which really make it feel like a mini theatre production. Though the puppets themselves are very flat and emulate the way I would like to make mine (cut outs that have been pieced together) they way they have been layered and made to move keeps them interestingly dynamic. The black and white styling keeps everything in this vintage theatre style and softens the manic elements. It all flows well together, I really like the flat little dancers that spin in and how as the scene moves the scenery is swapped in which brings you inwards in the scene.


The tornado contrasts texturally with the rest of the elements and reminds me of thread, again I love the string elements which keeps it in keeping with the stage production elements. It also allows objects to swing in which keeps the motion nice and fluid and allows for some jaunty quirkier elements to appear. 

In my head I had always felt that colouring my elements was going to best offset them from my backgrounds but I think black and white could be an option depending on the drawing style I opt to generate. Especially since the black and white highlights the paper cut outs and would exemplify my handmade elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment