Saturday 11 April 2015

The Proposal/Brief

I have had this idea for the independent project for a while so I was really keen to get approval as soon as in order to get started because I know that what I want to do is going to take a lot of time. 
The Proposal
Base Idea

For the independent project I would like to create a 3 minute 30 second stop motion animation to the Mountain Firework Company song Love Is A Rose. At the end of the project there is the possibility that I could pitch it to the band after is completion since they are known to my family. Having said this I would probably do this after hand in since I want to use as much time available to me to make the piece.

Technique

I would like to make this animation by first drawing out my characters digitally, then printing these characters onto thin card, cutting them out and reassembling them in order for them before animating.I would use a flat base with my camera pointing downwards at the scene (which would be about A2 in size) I would then make them move by carefully adjusting each element (ideally my characters would be segmented by limb and expressions so positions could be generated by rearranging pieces or swapping new ones in). Ideally I would like to create everything in camera so I don’t have to worry about editing 100s of photographs. Printing my characters will give me more freedom as I can print a variety of elements as many times as I need which will then offset the handmade feel of the stop motion technique. 

An example of the method that I plan to emulate can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7t4p3RjuNE 

The Story


A girl exits her house carrying a stereo (which is playing my chosen song) her eyes are closed. She walks through a variety of locations and all the while unbeknownst to her various animals and creatures begin following her, some simply follow, some are dancing and others are playing musical instruments that mimic the ones in the song (acoustic guitars, violins, the cello etc). Close ups of these animals will punctuate the scenes with the girl and her followers and a variety of diverse locations would offset and mimc the song. At the end of the song the girl will stop as the music fades and open her eyes. All the animals will have fled.


Georges Response:

Hi Jess,

That sounds like a lot of work. I feel it fits the brief and I love the mix of digital and hand made.
Best get cracking
See you wednesday

George


Overall I think it is safe to say that I have received approval and can get started! There may be some issues to iron out so I don't plan on designing anything until I have spoken to my tutors face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment