Monday 6 April 2015

Social Media Inspiration- Briony -May Smith

I think I have mentioned Briony-May Smith in every one of my projects this year- but I just love her work, I find her way of creating really inspiring especially since she has only just graduated herself.

I wanted to assess how other designers went about using social media to promote themselves to give me some inspiration into how to present myself. Briony- May Smith was the first designer/illustrator I thought of because I have been aware of her and her twitter presence since I interviewed her for my dissertation.

Twitter

Profile
May-Smith has used her designs to form her profile (something I intend to mimic with my own work since I feel like this is the best way of promoting my work and therefore my skill set). Again I love her work and the hand drawn nature of it her textural pencil marks are something I would love to emulate within my own designs.
 Tweets
Twitter is reliant on tweets so I wanted to explore the kind of things she tweeted about so I could figure out what to tweet about. The most recent tweet was a finished piece depicted below. 
 The second was an image of her sketchbook and the third was a photograph of her desk and recent sheep toy purchase.

Obviously images are going to be integral to use as a designer, something I should make the most of because I feel like the range of images I could present (finalised pieces and sketches) will more more visually intriguing than simple text based tweets. Because I am an illustrator using images in this way will display my process and my work and will as such essentially brand myself in a visual way.


Tumblr

I am currently using tumblr and the host for my portfolio site- but I intend to look into some other options and I intend to make some tweaks to it if I continue to use it - and I liked how her main site linked to her original tumblr one - which she had used previously as a portfolio - it had a very blog like feel to it and I liked how it mirrored her twitter- more platforms - hopefully equals more impact and design dispersal.


No comments:

Post a Comment