Monday 24 November 2014

User Testing

Because our crit has been pushed back and I have managed my time well - I plan on doing some user testing before crit- this will help me figure out any final touches that I can make, and help ensure that I have made good design decisions.

Ive already looked into user testing (in some of my prebuild research) but I opted to explore the types of questions I should be asking and what I should be aware of when I user test. I found the article below that hand some handy tips:




I also found this site below that offered similar tips (I wanted to cross reference to ensure that I had a reliable idea of what questions to ask)



I plan on asking my testers these questions - rather than just leaving them with the sheet- but I plan on trying my best to not lead them and I will adapt my questions if I think that there are any issues. I will also not inform any of my testers that I created the site - to ensure honest and well rounded findings.

Questions I will ask my user testers

What are your first impressions of the Jess Can’t Get Enough Site? What grabs your attention?

This will give me an idea of how my branding and design is being received- it will also tell me what they are likely to click on (on the home page).

What would you say the sites purpose is?

Will tell me if they understand my sites function- I have read that they should understand its purpose in the first 5 seconds.

Imagine you want to volunteer- try contacting the festival- how easy is this and are you happy with the information provided on the subject? Do you have any issues filling out the form?

Setting a task will help me to determine how well they navigate through the site to complete the action as well as inform me on how they find interacting with the site.

Find and try to buy a ticket - don’t actually buy it - but go through those motions- if this wasn’t a test would you buy one? How happy are you with the checkout process?

This will help me to determine how they find completing a transaction through my site (which is vital for my shop and tickets)

Remain on the page that you are on- using the search bar search for Depeche Mode- does the correct information appear? Does the Search bars position hinder or help?

One of my own personal issues with my site is the search bar- I have tried to rectify it in every way that I know so I don't think I can change it, unless someone in crit comes up with a good idea. Having said this, hopefully this question will determine how big an issue this is and provide me with some insight.

If you navigate to the home page are you happy that you could then buy tickets through that page- does the link work how you would expect?

I want to make sure that the calls to action on my home page are doing their job.

Try navigating to the news page on the mobile platform- is this easy - is everything how you would expect it to be on the mobile version.

I want to check that my site works on its mobile platform - although I don't have a massive control over its responsiveness I want to ensure that everything works how it should.

Are you happy with the fonts legibility? Is it easy to read? Do the colours stand out?

Legibility is obviously very important to any website - so I want to try and see if any of my colours or fonts are causing problems.

Are there any of the tasks above that have taken you longer than you thought they would - was anything difficult to accomplish?

This last question should alert me to any issues that a user may or may not have with my site- its also a nice question to round off on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment