Friday 14 November 2014

Homepage Revisions

The article that Sue gave us to look at about what to put on your homepage was really helpful- I thought that my homepage was a little sparse as it was so I opted to add in some of the suggestions featured in the article.

The Home Page Before


 I had a giant gap on my homepage when it went viewed on the mobile platform (I asked George about this and after much fuss - I had assumed that you could just set the min height for the slider to auto so it became responsive but this wasn't the case- it was decided that my theme was overriding the code that George was putting in- it doesn't happen on any of my other sliders but I think thats due to the size of my images on this one) In order to stop this from happening I would have to remove the slider. I did think that I could maybe find a plugin slider but because I am rethinking my homepage layout I think I have a new plan.
Responsive


Homepage After
The article suggests that home pages should employ a clear heading (something I had before) and a subheading (which I have incorporated through the use of my slogan and the short explanatory text below)


Because my slider didn't work responsively (and I have since discovered that it doesn't work when the images featured are larger than 500px) I have instead opted to place my main featured and arguably biggest band as one large image and then the others in a small gallery underneath. The large image links to the my line-up page (I would have liked to do the same for my smaller images but it didn't give me the option)

After which I have placed another small column of text which would promote the show (in order to sort of fulfil the content offer and benefit sections the article alludes to) and next to it I have placed a small image slider- I have put one of my T-Shirts on this with a link to the corresponding merchandise in my shop, one of my support artists photographs and a link to the line-up page and a picture of a tent- which links to my booking system page- I am very conscious that including all these links should hopefully generate better seo and make it easier for my users to interact and navigate around my site.



I have finished my site off by placing a Buy Festival Tickets banner at the bottom which links to where you can buy the tickets within my shop.

Below:
Some of my links and the respective images


Responsive

I'm happy to see that my new layout works much better when its on the mobile platform - no large gaps and everything fits well in my one column layout.




No comments:

Post a Comment