Monday 24 November 2014

After Crit Changes

Here are some post crit changes that I have decided to make based off my feedback.

Test it on a PC

I had some of the guys that bring PC's too class open up my site and it all seemed to work fine thankfully!

Trying to integrate a tiled gallery

One of the changes was to create  a tiled gallery - I tried using the one provided in my Jetpack plugin- I activated the tile plugin and then set all of my heights and size.



 I then tried to upload to the page using the widget feature- but it wouldn't let me click on the choose images option- I made sure that I configured everything I could - but it wouldn't let me choose my images no matter what I did.
I looked into the only other tiled gallery plugin that had a decent amount of downloads and was compatible with my version of Wordpress and my theme (tiled gallery without Wordpress) but I had the same issue - the only way to rectify it would be to place my imaged straight into the page directly - but they popped up in a regular grid like the one I already have and couldn't be edited on the page. For this reason I intend to leave the gallery as is- after a quick google I think the issue is to do with my Themify theme that I am using and the builder it provides.

Changing my Social Media Stream



So I had an experiment and a google - you can't make the feed horizontal - because of this I didn't want to put it on my homepage- since I think my homepage works aesthetically, however I knew that I had to change what I had for my social page- I contemplated placing it within the blog page (but thats a link to my blog) so instead I have decided to place it at the bottom of my news page - I have limited it to only 3 posts so its not a massively long part and I have given it its own heading to really signpost what it is. Since many festivals use social media to display news it felt pretty logical to include it on this page.  

Setting a product amount limit (a user testing change)

I had a quick flick round my settings and its not immediately obvious in how to change it - so I opted instead to have a look at the documentation - I found that setting the product amount was something that I could only do if I had the Woo Commerce quantity extension plugin - in order to get this plugin I would have to pay $29.00 - If I were creating a legitimate event then obviously I would invest in this but because my event isn't real and this isn't a real site I'm going to have to leave it. 

Playing about with the header image


I tried setting a specific position and size for my logo - but it didn't work responsively and ended up cutting off half my logo.



I tried setting my main image as a header image rather than a logo - but on the other pages it cut it in half (there is no option to upload separate header images on different pages its all linked). So for this reason I plan on keeping what I had before - the only way to rectify it would require a complete re work of all my pages- something that I could have done had I been alerted to it 3 weeks ago (however since it was suggested by the Wordpress developer the solution was only offered when he came in so it wasn't possible).

Search Bar

The search bar still has its issues that I have discussed pretty comprehensively before hand - although its not ideal my user testers didn't have to much issue with its position so for that reason its going to remain on the footer- at the very least its on every page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment