Thursday 19 February 2015

So Far... Page 2

This is what I have created for page two so far- it's not as crowded or as intricate as my first page (but that is simply because I had a lot of freer less boxy and restricted elements that didn't require the same level of intricacy to make them more interesting). Again I have added swirls in order to keep a common shape link running throughout the comic but this time I have tried to incorporate some more photographic/patterned elements- I particularly like my splash droplets which I have drawn onto using a chalk styled brush in Photoshop (it became one of my favourites and I ended up using a smaller version to draw attention to my surprise in the second scene) I also added in some various movement lines to really clarify the motion of my various characters and elements. I ended up having to go back into Illustrator to redraw myself in the required positions something I did as I went along since I found it better to create a whole page as one rather than drawing all the elements before placing them onto a page. Doing it using the draw for the page method (and complete that same page) meant that I had a good idea as to how various elements could be reused throughout. I ended up redrawing my face and the various expressions pretty much constantly but I only had to alter my body parts to make them fits since they worked as interchangeable elements.

The soft speckled background was drawn using a sponge brush in photoshop - I needed something to offset the patterned swirls and I knew that using another paper would dominate the frame too much. Since I wanted to slowly darken my journey to show that time is passing I opted to carefully blend my own - but I instead generated a careful curve in order to get away from formulaic and confining boxes. Using a white brush I was also able to roughen up my square frames which I think makes it fit together better and is something I will have to go back and include on my first page.



No comments:

Post a Comment