Thursday 19 February 2015

So Far... Page 1

Following my layout plan I have created this as my first page. I am really happy with all my elements- I kept the thought as a free form element which then overlapped into the various scenes. All of my illustrations excluding the backgrounds got drop shadows added to raise them up and create an almost cut out collage effect. I also opted to use a blue tissue background which I then erased and painted over to generate some intricate swirls to fill the space. Stylistically swirls were a recurring theme (mostly because it adds a bit of quirkiness but also because I think its a nice soft shape that contrasts against blocks of colour and works well to offset my illustration style). Using a common shape in this way also meant that I could include this in my other pages which would ensure the overall continuity.  Adding in my overlapping elements (the thought, the bulb, the balloons and the clouds) also helped me to break away from the rigid boxes and meant from a practical perspective that elements didn't have to be repeated they could simply move within the various scenes. I was very much inspired by Emily Carroll's work in this regard because the structure to her digital comics was very fluid and unrestricted.

I am very happy with how the 'real world' photographic patterns and textures work with my heavily hand-drawn vector based graphics which are very reminiscent of the Charlie and Lola cartoon (one of my other inspirations). I also feel like utilising this mixed media method also shows Wetransfer and D&AD that I have explored my mediums which is something highlighted within my chosen brief.


No comments:

Post a Comment