Friday 20 February 2015

Page 3...

I am really glad I planned out my page layout because it made drawing all the elements in this page much easier. I had great fun drawing myself swimming - out of all of the many poses that I have drawn myself in this was my favourite. I just had a lot of fun drawing out the puffy cheeks and flicky hair. I opted to divide the top into three overlapping segments in order to create the impression of fast movement. It also meant that there wouldn't need to be boring repeats of the various elements, that they could all be combined into one long strip at the top of the page in order to best convey the motion. The waves for instance worked well as overlapping elements as did the boat and its hook. I opted to create the splash using the white background rather than a solid paper element because I had a lot of patterns within the waves and I didn't want it to get lost. I also nixed the fish idea simply because there is a lot going on and although drawing fish is one of my favourite animals to draw I felt like my whole story revolves around me and a mischievous bird and adding in any additional animal characters felt like a detraction from that.

In order for my background to fade into the correct purple shade I needed to begin adding in some pinker tones which I could then blend into light purples, dark violets and then eventually darker royal blues- a perfect hue for the nights sky and the end of my strip. I made the sail a very light pink so I was worried about it blending in too much but I didn't want to use white because I use white as almost negative space throughout many of my pages to add smaller detailed elements. Grey seemed too dark and yellow too sunny - I needed something warm that would contrast against the darker sky and pink fitted the bill and my overall colour scheme- so I was willing o sacrifice the one scene where it would blend into the sky in light of all the others where it would be very clear.





No comments:

Post a Comment