Wednesday 1 October 2014

My Chosen Bands

During the summer I kept in practice by drawing some of my favourite bands/musicians and I'd very much like to include them within my event. Looking at their individual websites should help me to determine who my target audience is (it's going to be fairly wide) and help provide some inspiration for branding/logos/event identity. As well as this, as musicians they have their own news/tourdates/events and merchandise pages so it will also be useful for me to look at how these have been presented so I can think about how to present these pages for my own event.

Nick Cave

Nick Cave is an Australian musician that started playing in the 80's, he lives in Brighton and is part of two other bands Grinderman and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. His genre of music (and its target audience) is hard to determine (especially since I am a fan myself). However looking at it objectively I think that his music falls into the alternative rock category - it's defiantly quirky which I think has been displayed in his sites styling. Strangely considering he's released many albums  he doesn't have an official logo but I like how the opening page really helps to cement him as is own brand by making it the central focal point. Again top bar navigation keeps everything organised whilst the black and white styling keeps everything sleek and classy. Colour is integrated into the background images when hovered over and I like how visually the home page has been divided into 4 main sections- it helps with the overall usability and navigation and simultaneously presents information with a sense of hierarchy.



News Page
Each of the pages are laid out in the same way as the news page below (excluding the shop). The use of tiles separates various categories of information the images flipping over when hovered upon. When clicked on it takes you to another page with further information on that specific category. Additional side navigation is introduced  to further separate the content (something to consider for my event to ensure ease of use). Specific colours on the main page headings help to define the sections and I like how the use of tiles combined with images keeps everything well organised and easy to navigate. 


Other than the opening home page the rest of Nick Cave's website is fairly nondescript, the black and white colour scheme has been continued throughout but other than that the site is actually fairly basic which matches the cool smoothness of Nick Cave's brand.

After looking at his site I'm going to say that his target audience is very wide but aimed more at males between the ages of 25-40.



Paloma Faith

Paloma Faith is a British singer who is incredibly quirky- she has a very retro/vintage style and I think this is very much reflected in her website. Her entire site has a great sense of narrative which really engages the user. The swirly logo/name really emphasises the retro elegance of her own branding and the whole sites design is reminiscent of old fashioned tarot cards; its dark, dramatic and vintage. The dark vintage theme links directly to Faith's music genre which I would arguably place within alternative pop. 

 First Scroll Page

The sense of story (explained through various lyric) is further continued on the first page (you enter the site through a basic home entrance page and then come to a second which is this long first page) as you scroll down various visuals (that are actually really well drawn and animated) and additional character information are supplied. The name/logo remains constantly at the top with navigation occupying the bottom line of the page (another constant). Whilst I like the idea of the whole narrative I think the site is almost too complicated- although you can navigate away at any time- these additional elements seem superfluous. Of course my events page would be more generalised anyway due to it's nature (as a festival site) but I can appreciate that Faith's site is aimed to entertain and engage her fans. 

News Page

Faith's news page is actually incredibly simple in comparison to the rest of her site, information has been segmented using block rectangles. The red, black and turquoise colour scheme has been continued throughout and though this specific page has a simplistic layout its kept in theme through the overall styling.

Again Faith's audience seems to be very eclectic (much like Cave's) but I would place her market as 25-40 year old females.

Depeche Mode

Depeche Mode is an electro pop band formed in the 80's. Out of all of the musicians I have looked into I think they are the most well known. There logo is very distinctive and has been placed within two areas on any of the site's pages, in the top left corner and the bottom left hand corner. It remains in both of these places as the user navigates through the site. This really elucidates the overall Depeche Mode brand which is further continued in the rest of the site. Its home page is broken into sections- triangle shapes that match the logo - contain various pieces of information. Much like Cave's site, these triangles navigate to corresponding pages. 




News Page


Again like Nick Cave's site the Depeche Mode's news page (and its other pages) features additional side navigation which makes it easier to manage the content. The overall navigation remains locked on the bottom of the page (like Faith's and Lorde's). The bottom navigation bar balances the overall page layout and helps to frame the central content. Depeche Mode use a clean black and white colour scheme which matches there overall branding and 80's cool electro pop genre.
Because they come from the same era and because they are both alternative I would say that Nick Cave and Depeche mode share a similar target audience 30-45 year olds.


Lorde

Lorde strangely doesn't have a website and out of all of the artists I have drawn she's probably the one that doesn't fit with the others. Whilst her genre of music can be classed as alternative (somewhat electronic) pop her target market is definitely a younger audience than the others 16- 25 year old's (swaying more towards females).  Lorde seems to have a very strong social network presence however which is where she posts her videos/tourpages/music/news.

I think that much like Glastonbury my event is going to have a very wide audience (I'm going to include at least 2 and possibly three more acts) in order to balance out the wide array of genres and audiences  of the bands I have drawn portraits for. Although I intend to stick to alternative pop in order to have a vaguely cohesive genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment