Wednesday 15 October 2014

Further Wordpress Theme Research

Although initially my plan was to use a multi page layout for my site I still opted to look into a few one page layouts as well (because they are more usable) and it would be simpler for me to only have to deal with one page.



The Onetone theme above employs a sticky navigation and a one page long scroll layout, as themes go it runs very smoothly - the overhead navigation scrolls down to the desired segment, the entire site is actually very simple, colours have been used to divide up the content areas and there are clear images, icons and alternative grid layouts included within the theme and of course it is also fully responsive (I think the one page scroll layout works better on a mobile platform because additional clicking isn't required). However I tested out this theme and it doesn't come with any content which makes it harder to understand how it works- none of the navigation is in the same place and none of the segments are clear so for this reason I don't think that its a theme I plan on considering.

The Retro theme above isn't responsive so it's not a viable candidate for my event site, but I really like the styling - its got a very textural and arty feel to it - although I'm making a professional event site rather than a portfolio site I plan on integrating as much individual and unique style as I can. I am very concerned about making my site eye catching and fun (design and illustration are more of my forte so I want to input as much of this as possible). I'd really like to integrate my hand-drawn illustrative style into it not least because its my branding, so I may end up making some additional elements to include as and when I need them (small dividing banners, additional headers) anything to ensure overall continuity. The site above proves that I can heavily stylise a Wordpress theme.


Much like the Fruitful theme Parabola also seems incredibly malleable- I tested it out to look into some more of the features - its a little too boxy in comparison to Fruitful but again its responsive, employs a sticky navigation and includes a range of layouts and sliders. It's very customisable which is really what I am looking for.  


National is another one page long scroll theme- unlike the Onetone theme it's seems to be pretty malleable (although it was lacking in some of the content sections which would have clarified what was what) from what I could test out there were a lot of changeable features. My only concern about using this theme is that it is better suited to long and thin horizontal logos rather than my vertically wider design. Having said this the navigation remains at the top, its responsive and its bland enough for me to brand (although the downside is that it hasn't had many reviews so it could be unreliable).


Hoffman is a very clean scrolling theme, its not one page because when I tested the navigation there were a few additional links to other pages but I think with a few tweaks to some of the settings it could be a one page site. Its incredibly basic, but it includes clear content segments and uses a very simple layout. I think with a few tweaks it could be made to run a lot smoother (it hasn't had many reviews so again it could be unreliable) but it may be worth considering as a base theme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment