Tuesday 14 October 2014

Basic Wordpress Theme Research

I wanted to look into some basic theme layouts before designing my wireframes so I know what's available for me to use and what is feasible for me to make with the tools available. 

I started by looking for a basic top navigation, logo and image combinations (standard event home page layout) and came across the arcade theme. I mostly liked it because it used a big image at the top of the page and employed a sticky navigation. I briefly tested the theme out - and it seems fairly customisable but the free version is limited in terms of layout- there aren't any grid or column options and it doesn't allow me to integrate a logo on the individual pages. It may be one to consider but overall I am not convinced on it's malleability.


Thought that I would look into a parallax theme because they integrate a sense of depth and texture and seem to be a very modern and current aspect of the web. However there are very few decent free themes that use this, the only one I found was the mail chimps theme above.  I don't like the way the parallax works on this one -it's a little bit clunky and its almost too much because its entirely photographical. I also don't like how the images sit atop of the parallax and I don't have the technical knowledge to integrate solid blocks of colour to rectify this. The main navigation is not sticky which isn't good for usability especially on long pages. 



                                         Source: http://themes.fruitfulcode.com/fruitful/


So far out of all of the themes that I have researched fruitful seems to be very promising. I tested this theme out because the preview wasn't very extensive and I have found that it's a really malleable theme and its bland enough for me to brand and change radically. Theres a lot of different column and layout options and it compatible with a lot of Wordpress plugins and widgets which is going to be useful when I begin building. The theme has also received a lot of positive feedback (a large amount of people have used it) which also means that I should be able to find support online if I choose this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment