Monday 29 December 2014

Style Inspiration and Visual Concept Ideas

I have put together a list of images below that inspire me style wise and represent some of my concepts visually. 


I briefly considered the idea of using puzzle pieces to create myself - or to tell a story of some kind- I contemplated the idea of creating images- of myself in a variety of fantastical roles that I would like to be in 10 years time (the queen, a superhero a rockstar etc...) and digitally tearing them up and reforming them in a  before ending with a drawing of my real self - I liked the idea that who I could be in 10 years time could be interchangeable- which would allow me to explore a variety of possibilities. Everything and anything could happen in 10 years times- and I'm showing that through the reformation of the images.  I would probably like to end with the words in 10 years time I will be.... anything I want to be!

by Alex. T Smith
I love the design style of the image above with paper crafted and 3d elements.  The colours are lovely and I like the softness of all the shapes- its very fluid and is what I would consider a more grown up cartoon style that would be suitable for my target audience (designers aged between 17-30) I also like the paper cut style (it's something that I have always found encapsulates the quirky handmade style) and its an avenue I would really like to explore. It introduces a but of height even if it's subtle - and from a motion perspective it would be easy to move all the various paper elements (especially if I used split pins to secure them). 


by Morgan Davidson

I really love the image above- its one of my favourite pieces that I have looked into so far. It's quirky, fun and very vintage looking - I love the idea of having a variety of objects in my hair- I could collect objects along my journey and end with this still - which would also be the still printed piece that I submitted. Again I think this would work well as a paper cut style element and I think its got great potential to work with some of my ideas. 



I love the combination of 2d and 3d - but mostly I think balloons are a quirky travel method that I could incorporate in my journey.

 Source: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/61361613643330839/

The visual style above is another that I am considering for my self portraits- it is based on the illustrations in the Charlie and Lola books. The one above is a little more sombre in comparison - but I like the wide eyes and nose ridge (which is defined through detailed cross hatch) and the hair which by the look of it has been shaded using some kind of felt pen. I see a little bit of gothic style to the image and I think the golds and blues work really well together - they along with the peacock motif on the wallpaper give it a sense of the vintage.  


Although I am not set on whether I am actually making a stop motion - or making something digitally (but making it look handmade and drawn simply because of our projects time constraints) the puppets above make making the animation easier. Using split pins means that limbs can be interchangeable (useful for actual stop motion) but it also means that the digital movement doesn't have to be perfect (it can look jaunty and rigid because its replicating a puppet movement). The puppet theatre above is really well made- its neat and structured- incredibly vintage and it provides a really interesting frame for motion. I do really love the handmade elements- and would love to create something physical - but I am not sure that there is going to be enough time - once I submit my idea and planning - and hopefully get approval I can plan out my remaining time to see if I can indeed make something physically or whether I would simply make it digitally. Even if I do go down the digital route it will all be hand-drawn so I am hoping that I can retain the quirky coolness that the actual handmade provides. 


The last image with silhouettes is another possibility because I wouldn't have to introduce or shade or colour (except for the end moment and the final print version)  silhouettes could be an option for an actual handmade stop motion because design wise these shapes would be simple and easy for me to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment