Wednesday 17 December 2014

Past D&AD Nominated Entries

After looking at some of the Yellow Pencil Award winners- student and professional- I opted to look into some of the nominated entries as well just to see the range of responses produced. I mostly focused on graphical and illustrative responses because those are the two areas that I am utilising for my chosen brief. 


The design above was a professional entry - a book case designed for Nick Cave's new book The Death Of Bunny Monro. As far as I can tell this was actually used on the special edition releases and the company ended up designing the book cover and the whole campaign. It actually had a very steam punk vibe and I think the gothic wallpaper inspired pattern emulates Nick Cave's style. The use of pink is a surprisingly feminine touch but it matches the gothic/steampunk styling used throughout. There is something almost Victorian about the design - which is further corroborated by the designer who supposedly based the design on Victorian funeral cards. I can certainly see the inspiration - it comes across as elegantly weird which I think really mimics Nick Cave's persona. 

Source: http://www.dandad.org/awards/professional/2010/book-design/18043/the-death-of-bunny-munro/




The Brief (as stipulated by the D&AD): create a sequential panelled design with a narrative to present this history and enrich the visitors experience.

This is actually a student entry for a V&A brief (as described above) but I love the styling - the idea itself is very simple- 40 iconic images that represent V&A history - they have been positioned in a way that reads as a long comic book (an aspect that adheres to the "narrative" element of the brief- but also integrates something visually fun). The artistic style used in the design of the panels ensures that each of the panels is its own work of art. Though the colour scheme is one that is used too often (its the most obvious example of contrasting colour) I love the screen print and hand drawn style which I think is the selling point to the whole design. Whereas in the other projects that I have looked into the concept has been the driving force this brief stipulates the concept very clearly which means that more thought has been given to the design style. The comic book layout integrates an original twist and works cohesively with the illustration. 



Again this is a student entry (all I could garner about the brief it responds to is that its part of a smoothie advertising campaign) I love the handmade aspect to the images- the little models have been arranged and photographed well and they display a sense of fun (which I image corroborates with the brand whose slogan is smoothie operators). There is a definite sense of humour to them and I am very much reminded of the Coca Cola advert (in which all the little monsters create and bottle the coke inside the vending machine). 




The Brief (as stipulate by D&AD): Choose one of Little White Lies top 5 favourite films and illustrate a cover for the magazine. 

Again the concept behind these designs has already been iterated in the brief which has allowed for more visual consideration. Though I can appreciate the pencils skills required to achieve such a delicate black swan image the Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy is my favourite entry (I think that they both actually won Yellow Pencil Awards). I love the hand drawn nature of the piece (although it has been finished with digital techniques as well) - it has an almost collage like elocution and relies heavily on texture which makes the product visually more interesting. Though its dark and dramatic - the designers own illustrative style does really come through which I think is what makes it so appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment