Tuesday 30 December 2014

Paper Puppets Design Style Inspiration

After looking into some inspirational images I decided to continue looking into the paper cut puppet style (since I think it has the most potential) and have found the pieces below. 


The fold out quality to the character above is what attracted me to this character- I like the 50's styling of the character the hair is probably the main focal point which contrasts against the pale blue. The three dimensionality of the character contrasts against the flatness of the paper. The only issue with this folding method is that it won't be easy to move unless there are some hidden split pins. There is a strange grittiness to the character (the cigarette and the sad expression) which is highlight through the grubby red ash which mars the white of the skin.  I do like the solid fill skin- the lack of shading exemplifies the body shapes but it also keeps the character very simple something that I should consider when making my design. 


Source: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/567101778052021521/

This is an example of a pinned together puppet - it has got a lovely rustic quality to it - which has been achieved through distressed shading and textural paper which further separates the character from the background. Again this is a simplistic design and again I think it has a lot of potential - especially with the additional 3d element of the nose which introduces height. 


The black white and brown pieces above are probably my favourite puppet pieces so far, the lines integrate detail into the solid fill but they are again very simplistic. I am very much reminded of lino cut prints which further generates an artistic handmade quality. The brown paper is softer and more textural than the white elements previously researched, theres a softer rustic quality to them and again I think that they have a lot of potential. Careful white lines carefully add detail without being overwhelming which also makes the very simplistic shape more complex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment