Tuesday 30 December 2014

Stop Motion Inspiration- Possible Concept Idea

Although my final print piece will be a still there is an opportunity for me to create a motion piece as well. I opted to look into some paper cut stop motions since this is the overall style that has provoked my interest so far.

The video below is really really clever- the animators created an entire paper world for the story to take place in - it was actually made for the song which links the lyrics to the onscreen actions. The use of black and white is really effective especially when a vibrant red is introduced and I love how the paper cuts and visual styling gives the animation a gothic victorian vibe. Although the world and colour scheme are incredibly simplistic the characters themselves are very detailed which is achieved through small, careful lines and patters. Again 3d elements are incorporated in the background set which integrates a variety of depth. All of the limbs are moveable but there are no pins evident which probably means that it moves through the use of interlocking sliding elements. That or they are attached in a moveable manner without using pins. Either or the end result is very impressive, gothic, vintage animation fun.




The paper cut animation is really fun- I'm Not sure how some of the moving parts work (I'm guessing it's a sliding page, or a digitally enhanced motion for the parts that spin, that or some of the elements are interchangeable or other pages which have been placed atop). My best guest that lots of paper layers have been create and put atop one another which creates the movement. Again the paper cut styling is both intricate and simplistic which works well visually - and once again emphasises the handmade (an element that I think WeTransfer are keen to display).



This human body stop motion has very simple movement and I love how different textured paper has been used to create all the various elements - everything is bold block colour or simple pattern which should look bland but it is made interesting through the variety of textures and smooth movement. I particularly like the breaths of air that curl outwards because the motion contradicts the simple slides that are used throughout.  The foldout heart works well too because it operates on an outward level further introducing a physicality.




Overall I think the paper cut animation - or at least the style- is probably one that I am going to continue investigating.

No comments:

Post a Comment