Tuesday 16 December 2014

Past D&AD Yellow Pencil Awards - Professional Illustration/Design Entries

After looking into some of the students that won the Yellow Pencil Award I also opted to research what professional winners had submitted.  Mostly because I wanted to get some additional inspiration but also because their responses were bound to be more visually competent. Because they were professional entries they didn't have specific briefs given to them - instead they submitted one of their own projects designed for one of their clients.  

An interactive colouring book:


The book above is well designed and has a very simple concept (two elements that make it an effective book). I like the idea that the book has a purpose (to teach art) but its a very practical way of teaching and it also offers a level of engagement. There are a variety of different art styles used (its dependant upon the art movement/artist being described). It's target audience is definitely a younger one that I would place between 8-16. Stylistically it's fun, bold and simple which gives it a lot of strength. 


Again there is a sense of physicality to the poster above. It definitely has a handmade vibe to it (although I am guessing only in part) which I feel makes it all the more dramatic. Its a very dark image and is supposed to represent process- visually it represents the design process and how things are made. Whilst I'm not sure if I actually understand this when I look at the image- but nonetheless it has been well made, combines photography and typography and is visually striking. 



This is a collection of pieces that were made for the London Underground. Its part of a whole selection of artworks that supposed to emulate the London underground and its history. I can't say I really understand the pieces. I also find them visually boring (they seem like generic maze images) which I don't think is very original. 

Source: http://www.dandad.org/awards/professional/2014/graphic-design/23660/labyrinth/

Overall I am finding that a lot of the winning entries are very concept orientated- and whilst I can respect that having a clever niche, twist or idea helps a design - I feel like the ideas aren't visually represented well - with both the student awards and even some of the professional ones, its not clear what the design means and sometimes the elocution of the design is really rather lacking. I think the overall twist/niche will help create something original - but making something thats visually cohesive and well designed is just as important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment