Monday 23 March 2015

Textural Mixing Inspiration- Oliver Jeffers

I was a little concerned with how my drawings and Jakes drawings would gel together- his work is so detailed and very realistic looking - it also has this beautiful sense of scale to it (which I have no idea how to achieve!) though I could do a more realistic astronaut character I felt like it would then still look odd next to Jakes backgrounds or possibly blend in. Since I was going for a more adult but still cartoony style I wanted to see how other illustrators has mixed more real illustrative elements with less realistically styled characters. I cane across Oliver Jeffers work and felt that it managed to cohesively present two very different styles together.


In the work above the moose and the boy are highly illustrative but the background has a more realistic appearance. Despite this, the two elements really work together. I think this is down to the texture that has been applied to all of it, the sense of light and shadow which also helps to texturally soften the image and the use of subtle illustrative cartoon in some other elements (the river reflections and ripple lines are a prime example of this). I definitely feel like the typography also helps to make it into a cohesive piece and I think texture and light are all elements that we should consider to ensure a well made final result.


The book cover above has the same use of real with illustrative and again this is down to the texture, lighting and careful integration of illustrative elements. The stars in particular help to disperse the more cartoony illustrative style on the realistic backdrop, as does the soft texture of the yellow straw. I also love the sense of shadow which really help to give the design perspective which again I think we should include in our design.

No comments:

Post a Comment