Friday 26 September 2014

Event Type Research

Im going to begin this project by first looking into the various events that I could make this site for, I want to find something thats broad enough to offer me enough content but not so large that its impossible to manage. Since I plan on designing logos and additional extras for this site I am aiming to find an event that I find interesting so I can really showcase my own deign style. The brief has given us a few examples of events so Im going to start with those categories.

Music Festivals

Glastonbury seems like the obvious music event choice, but it's one of my favourite festivals and is so eclectic that I think that I would be able to choose any design style. Undertaking it as a whole would be a herculean task but because there are so many stages and areas within Glastonbury I could instead focus on one of these sections and design for that. This would help to limit the amount of content I am managing and allow me to have some more stylistic input because I would be designing for a specific genre/stage . Having said this I do actually really like Glastonbury's website its bright bold and easy to navigate, and I particularly like how they have used simple boxes (that remind me of their headline act posters) to separate content along the page which clarifies which information is more important whilst retaining the Glastonbury's fun and hippyesc brand. Each of the pages on the website is short which works better when viewed on the mobile platform but it does mean that theres a lot of clicking on various links which take you to the other pages (I think that one page sites are generally more popular because they don't require user interaction) but because the navigation is very clear at the top and because it works stylistically I don't think that this is too much of an issue. However I have done a Glastonbury based project last year and though there are many angles that I could use to redesign the site I think that I would always end up being influenced by the current brand and website. So whilst it is a good site to look at to see how they have designed and managed their event I don't think I'll be designing for this one.



Source: http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/

Art Festivals

The Big Draw is probably one of the most well known art events and would completely suit my visual style. However looking at its website I think it would be very hard to design something different especially since it uses a lot of hand-draw elements (hand-drawn being my speciality) and I think that I would end up producing something that looked very similar. As a site I think its well laid out- theres obviously a lot of images which coincides with the events theme and I like the pencil look navigation at the top which makes the menu fun and noticeable. On each of the pages the top header remains a constant which ensures the overall continuity as well as making is easy to use (something to consider when designing my own Wordpress site). Whilst the site contains a lot its not very eclectic so I wouldn't be able to incorporate a different angle and for this reason I don't plan on using this event.



Source: http://www.thebigdraw.org/


Animation/Film Festival

 Since I love film and animation it seemed prudent to look into these types of festivals. The first animation festival I came across was this Bradford Animation Festival, I was drawn to it because of its bold banner and whilst I like the overall layout of the site (excluding the navigation which I think has been placed in a really odd position) I don't think the logo or the site itself really displays the animation theme. Lots more movement - or the illusion of movement could be added into the actual logo and site styling. Despite this the sites layout works really well, its home page relies on static photographs as navigation and I like its overall simplicity which places importance on the actual information.  Specifically I don't feel that this site needs to be redesigned (perhaps rebranded) but the animation/film festival event field could provide some interesting content to design for and is definitely a category I am considering for my chosen event.


Source: http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/BradfordAnimationFestival/WhatsOn


Digital Design Festivals

The London Digital Design Festival has a lot of potential- whilst it has a clear banner and simple navigation, the pages themselves are very cluttered and bland making it hard to see which information is more important. As well as this the logo is uninspiring and the site isn't responsive which makes it an incredibly blank slate and will possibly be easier to work with because of this. Since its a digital festival I think any style that I apply as branding will work (since we are partaking in a digital media course) although I would have to consider the overall target audience before deciding anything.  



Source: http://www.londondesignfestival.com/news

I've noticed in all of the event pages that I have looked at that - heading/logo/banners at the top of the screen are the norm along with navigation bars that are situated at the top (these seem like fairly standard elements in most webpages) but I should definitely consider these elements when looking for Wordpress themes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment